Sankofa Care Fostering Services operates as an independent fostering agency and is part of Sankofa Care Ltd, a private limited company, which also provides semi independent arrangements for parent and child and single young people as part of a continuum service to fostering.
Whilst we believe that most children’s needs are best met within their own families. We recognise that this is not possible for some children and in such cases we endeavour to find high quality local placements within a family setting. Our aim is to ‘give back’ so that children placed in our care will live and grow, achieve and exceed in their hopes for the future’.
As a fostering agency we continue to work towards the five outcomes for children as set out by the government, in ‘Every Child Matters: Change for Children’;
• Be healthy
• Stay safe
• Enjoy and achieve
• Make a positive contribution
• Achieve economic well being
Sankofa Care’s objectives are as follows;
• To provide a flexible service that is child-focused and able to respond to the range of needs presented by children looked after.
To recruit, prepare, assess, approve, monitor, train and review Foster Carers in accordance with the required standards in order to ensure that there are sufficient Foster Carers to respond to the demand for family placements.
• To provide targeted, ongoing training, support and supervision of Foster Carers, to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to provide a quality, responsive Family Placement service.
• To support the care plan for the child, in partnership with Local Authority, the child, parents and other agencies. To work in partnership with Education and Health Services to maximise the effectiveness of the child’s placement.
• To consider and respond to the emotional and spiritual needs of all looked after children in a sympathetic and supportive way, recognising all children as valued individuals with opinions, aspirations and expectations.
• To ensure that all staff has the required knowledge, qualifications, skills and attitudes to contribute positively to the Fostering Service.
• To encourage and support Foster Carers to participate fully in the day-to-day running of the Fostering Service via the Sankofa Care Foster Carers’ Support Group and carers’ forum and coffee mornings.