Sankofa Care values the work foster carers do and their contribution to the lives of children and young people in their care. Appropriate support for foster families is therefore vitally important to a successful placement.
Creative and flexible support
Sankofa Care provides creative and flexible support arrangements for children and young people and their foster carers. Our close working relationship with both our carers and Local Authorities ensures that the necessary level of support occurs when a child or young person and foster family are ‘matched’ at the placement planning stage. This support is then monitored and adjusted throughout the placement.
Alongside this Sankofa will provide you with;
• A Contribution towards some of the equipment necessary to care for the child.
• A committed social worker who will supervise, support and advise as needed. This is done through frequent visits and regular telephone contact.
• A comprehensive post-approval training programme as well as access to relevant rolling programme of relevant training courses
• A more experienced foster carer, through our mentoring system, who will be available to share strategies, practical advice and offer emotional support
• Access to support groups in which foster carers come together informally and formally and discuss issues and share advice.
• 24 hour support and advice through our Out of Hours Service.
• access to respite care when assessed as needed
• access to help from the On-line Educational Support Team to support foster carers in negotiating with schools and promoting children and young people’s educational needs. Increased level of educational input can be further negotiated depending on assessed needs.
• Support from our Clinical Psychologist who provide expert guidance and support to foster carers of children and young people who are experiencing serious emotional difficulties. Individual therapy can be negotiated where appropriate
• A generous allowance for the child that covers the cost of caring for them as well as a reward element for you. The Fostering Allowances and Other Payments booklet will be updated annually and distributed to carers.